I recently finished up my first One Man One Barbell (OMOB) cycle, originally founded by End of Three Fitness, on my way to lifting over 1,000,000 lbs. of barbell only exercises. The long term goal is to gain strength across all the included lifts. Each OMOB cycle is four weeks in length, with only three of those being working weeks. The fourth week is a deload week, in which I still perform the lifts. However, the volume does not count towards the experiment. Only the first three weeks of workings set and reps are accumulated toward the total.
Cycle 1 included the front squat, deadlift and strict overhead press. Each week has two separate lifting days for each exercise. The lower body lifts are performed on the same day and the upper lift is performed by itself. There are percentage based increases each week in relation to my 1RM. Accompanied with the lifts are rotating days of accessory work and conditioning workouts.
Below is model of what the cycle looks like:
- Week 1, Day 1 = 4 sets of working sets, 4 reps each for all lifts
- Week 1, Day 2 = EMOM x 4 reps for 10 minutes for all lifts
- Week 2, Day 1 = 4 sets of working sets, 3 reps each for all lifts
- Week 2, Day 2 = EMOM x 3 reps for 12 minutes for all lifts
- Week 3, Day 1 = working sets of 2, 2, 1, 1 for all lifts
- Week 3, Day 2 = EMOM x 2 reps for 15 minutes for lifts
*Each week the intensity is increased based off 1RM %’s
Rules for the 1,000,000 lb experiment:
- Only working sets count towards volume
- Warm-up sets do not count
- Only the working sets in the above model count
- Money-maker method – on the last set of each lift perform AMRAP = these count toward total volume
- Deload week does not count toward volume
Total Volume: 71,015 lbs.
- Front Squat – 24,090 lbs
- Deadlift – 34,207.5 lbs
- Strict Press – 12,717.5 lbs
Lbs. Until I Reach Goal:
- 928,985 lbs.
- Expected finish date if average is 75,000 lbs. per cycle = 12.33 months
- Cycle 2 Lifts
- Back Squat
- Sumo Deadlift
- Bench Press